1 a hat tied under the chin [syn: poke bonnet]
2 protective covering consisting of a metal part that covers the engine; "there are powerful engines under the hoods of new cars"; "the mechanic removed the cowling in order to repair the plane's engine" [syn: hood, cowl, cowling] v : dress in a bonnet
- Rhymes: -ɒnɪt
- A type of hat, once worn by women or children, held in place by ribbons tied under the chin.
- A traditional Scottish woollen brimless cap, also spelled bunnet.
- In the context of "AU|UK|automotive": The hinged cover over the engine of a motor car.
- A length of canvas attached to a fore-and-aft sail to increase the pulling power.
type of women's and children's hat
Scottish men's cap
cover over the engine of a motor car
length of canvas attached to a fore-and-aft sail
Bonnet can refer to:
- Bonnet (headgear), a kind of headwear
- car bonnet, in British English, the hinged cover of the engine in a motor vehicle, called hood in American English
- War bonnet, a feathered headgear worn as military decoration by Plains Indians
- Scotch bonnet, a variety of chilli pepper
- Tam o'shanter (hat), a distinctive Scottish bonnet
- Glengarry, a type of cap also called a Glengarry bonnet
- Feather bonnet, a feathered headgear once worn by Scottish regiments
- Plumbing term, a part of an outdoor sprinkler system
- Engineering, a part of a valve
Places named Bonnet:
- Bonnet, Meuse, a commune in France
bonnet in German: Bonnet
bonnet in French: Bonnet
bonnet in Dutch: Bonnet
bonnet in Japanese: ボンネット
bonnet in Swedish: Bonnett